Sunday, June 29, 2008

sharing smiles. moving mountains.

I'm sitting in a Panera on this sun sparked dreary Sunday afternoon. To my right is a beautiful little girl who is enjoying a late lunch with her mother and grandmother. She is all smiles, hugs, and kisses. She also has hearing aids in her ears. This beautiful little girl, with the cutest smile you could ever see, needs technology to help her enjoy the simplest, yet incredibly profound thing. As I take glances over at her, I'm wondering if she realizes what exactly it is that her mother puts into her ears every morning and what exactly it is doing for her. "Come on, mom." she says as they left. While I'm sitting here, thinking about these things, I am listening to music through my earphones. Music plays such a vital role in my life as I'm sure it does yours (as well as the ability to hear without some sort of mechanical attachment). I wonder, as she grows up, if she will have resentment towards God for her hearing or if she will be such an encouragement to others and bring a glimpse of sunshine to their day, as she has mine.

I guess I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say here except that we "normal" people, without any severe ailments, can so easily take the simplest of things in our lives and on our bodies for granted. I truly am blessed. So are you.

No comments: